Thursday, August 28, 2008

Would I?

So on Sunday there was a talk given about being converted. He began telling us a story of when he was on his mission. He was teaching this man for several weeks, he was very responisive and loved having the missionaries come over.He took all the discussions and was presented the baptismal commiment, he said he was ready, but he was told he had to go church and be consecutive.Week after week he didn't show up. The missionaries were really frustrated and decided to tell him that they could no longer teach him if he was not willing to come to church. He replied that he really wanted to come, and wanted one more chance.So the missionaries agreed and waited till the next Sunday. Where he served his mission in Portugal not very many people had cars, so evryone took a motorized bike with a basket on the side to carry passangers.It cost a couple of pesos to get to the church,which in an equivalent of 10-20 cents.So they thought it would be so easy to get this man to come to church.AS the missionaries stood outside that Sunday and waited for this man to arrive,and then he told us that this man had no use of his legs, they stood there being so dissapointed that he wasn't coming.They go to walk into the chapel and give one last look.With there final glance they find this man crawling on his hand and knees the 2 miles it took to get the church.
My eyes welled with tears,the strength that this man had was so undeniable.I then had to ask myself"would I crawl to church?" I have been so blessed to have the knowledge all my life and have never really had to sruggle with my faith.I know it's true I believe it with all of my soul,and I believe in the plan of savation and eternal families. I don't think that we have to be only converted from being a non-member.We need to be converted daily. We should realize how lucky we are, and that we don't have to search.We have have it.I am greatful for my faith an my testimony.I hope if the time ever came that I had no use of my legs, that I would crawl to church.

8 comments:

Lindsay Jones said...

Wow! That is powerful story, and some powerful thoughts! What a lovely thing to read to feel grateful and inspired. I love you, thank you!

Shan said...

That is so beautiful!!! It is so wonderful to see these people with such dedication for the Lord. It is such a reminder to all of us that have life really easy. Thanks a ton for sharing that.

Alli said...

That has to be one of the most powerful stories I have ever heard! It made me cry. It truely amazes me what some people have to go through! I hope I would crawl to church too! You have such a strong testimony! You have always been such a great example to me! I love you so much and I'm so glad that you are my sister!

Grandmommy Crum said...

Hi honey, you told me this story on the phone but its nice to read it too. I know how strong your testimony is , thats one of the greatest things about you! THANKS for being my sweet Mandi xoxo

Alexa Mae said...

that was an amazing story! enough so, to make me cry. i can't imagine what those missionaries thought when they laid there eyes on this man crawling. he wasn't even a member yet, but his spirit and dedication were so strong. thanks for that story, i think that everyone that reads it will learn a little something.

Grandmommy Crum said...

HI HONEY HOW ARE YOU DOING..... I MISS YOU , KISS MY BABIES FOR ME ! LOVE YA xoxo

☂niki. said...

Sometimes hearing stories like this one make me feel guilty for having such a wonderful life and having things come so easily to me. then i have to think about why heavenly father gives others challenges and it isn't only for them to grow, it is for all of us to grow as well. i'm grateful for reminders like this to help me appreciate all that i have. thank you for sharing.

Clarissa Wilstead said...

Oh, I'm so emotional - thanks for the story. Oh, are you going to Teasha's tomorrow?